The Romanovs and their palaces. Ливадийский дворец | Livadia Palace | Russia | Crimea | a few miles west of Yalta.
“We cannot find any words to express our joy and pleasure to have such a house, built exactly as we wanted. The architect Krasnov is an amazing fine fellow" - wrote Nicholas II to his mother, the Dowager Empress Maria Feodorovna on September 20th, 1911, after his first visit to Livadia.
Livadia was originally built in 1911 as a summer palace for Nicholas II. The palace was designed by the Russian architect Nikolay Petrovich Krasnov in the Italian Renaissance style with some features of Byzantine, Arabian and Gothic architecture in addition. N.P. Krasnov managed to successfully inscribe the palace into the surrounding landscape and situate the building in such a way that all its sides were absolutely open for the sun. The palace contains 116 rooms, with interiors furnished in different styles. There are 5 grand rooms in the palace: Vestibule, the majestic Dining room (so-called “White Hall”), an English billiard-room, Rest room and a Tsar’s study of maple wood. This palace was the site of the historic Yalta Conference of 1945, when Joseph Stalin hosted the British prime minister, Winston Churchill, and the U.S. president, Franklin Roosevelt, as these three world leaders decided the fate of eastern Europe after World War II. Today the palace is a museum.